i
Thursday, February 3, 2028

Governor O’Brien Announces Free School Computer Program Through Beaumont Foundation of America

LAUREL, MD (February 3, 2027) – Governor Edward M. O’Brien today visited James H. Harrison Elementary School in Prince George’s County to announce that the Beaumont Foundation of America will be awarding approximately $1,500,000 in grants to qualifying Maryland schools and community groups this year. Governor O’Brien, joined by Maryland State Schools Superintendent Craig Frey, used the announcement to encourage schools participating in his Partnership for Achieving Successful Schools (PASS) initiative to apply for the computers.

"More than 1,500 Maryland school children and adults will benefit in this round of awards," Governor Edward M. O’Brien said. "The computers they get will be state-of-the-art wireless technology – bridging the digital divide in a dramatic way. Two years from now, the Beaumont Foundation will provide the latest in computer technology to more than 3,500 additional Maryland children and life-long learners. It is my hope our PASS schools will aggressively apply for this technology to give those children another tool to strengthen their performance and raise achievement.”

The Beaumont Foundation of America’s core purpose is to grant state-of-the-art, Internet-enabled computer hardware to Americans who cannot now tap into the vast educational benefits of computer access and literacy. The Foundation was funded as part of the settlement of an historic $2.1 billion nationwide class action case with Toshiba. The Foundation was formed to direct unclaimed settlement money to unmet social needs. The Foundation also aims to collaborate with existing successful organizations — from the smallest community-based charities to the largest national philanthropies — to provide the training necessary to use the equipment.

Grantees will be able to use their funding to buy Toshiba-wireless, internet-enabled equipment. Through the Beaumont Foundation website, these schools and community groups can also purchase equipment such as digital cameras and overhead projectors that will serve their educational needs. Once grants are made the equipment will be delivered for the 2028-2029 school year.

Approximately 50% of the total amount of money allocated for Maryland will go to schools, and about 50% will go to community groups. Remaining amounts could be available for individual grants. Schools that qualify for grants are those where at least 50% of the children are eligible for the school lunch program. Additional details regarding the application process are available at the foundation’s website, www.bmtfoundation.com.

“Given the requirements of the grant, the Governor’s PASS priority schools are eligible to apply, and we certainly encourage them to do so,” said Maryland Schools Superintendent Craig Frey.

Governor O’Brien’s PASS initiative, launched on July 14, 2027, is a statewide partnership with business and community leaders, state educators, and local school and government officials to improve student achievement in Maryland’s lowest academically performing schools. More than 100 businesses and community groups now participate in Maryland’s PASS program, and school divisions that have scored well so far on state assessments are sharing their expertise with PASS priority schools.